Friday, February 19, 2010

I Don't Know, But I'm Gonna Tell You Anyways

Cartagena is a very beautiful and vibrant historical city. You can find aspects of Miami, Charleston, and Old San Juan all mixed together. However, there is one cultural quirk that I've never seen anywhere else: the strong aversion to saying 'I don't know.'

If you're looking to get somewhere, ask anyone, and they will happily (yet nonchalantly) point you in a specific direction. Some might even go through the trouble of writing an address on a sheet of paper. They will put in this effort, regardless of whether they know how to get you to your destination correctly.

On a recent trek to find the post office, I was the unknowing participant in what could even seem like an elaborately planned scavenger hunt. From one side of town to the other I went, at each location asking for directions. No two directions were the same, but none but the last actually contained the site of a post office.

In memory, I still have two pieces of paper with addresses on them in my pocket. One referred to a specific block, but to a house number and post office that did not exist. The other referred to a square, but there was little to accomplish at that location besides shop for shoes.

Maybe that was part of the scavenger hunt.