Friday, January 22, 2010

My Favorite Constellation

I've never been extraordinarily skilled at picking out constellations. I truly enjoy a dark night sky. In the right circumstances, I've been able to pick out the milky way, the moon, the northern lights, and the occasional shooting star. However, constellations fail me. Maybe I'm not imaginative enough, but I find it hard to see how a set of four stars looks like a bear.

The constellation I most enjoy is Orion. A feature of the winter sky in the northen hemisphere, Orion reminds me cold, crisp winter camping trips, campfires, and snowfall. Also, he's ridiculously easy to pick out. His three star belt, hanging sword, and four stars signifying his shoulders and legs are clearly visible in all but the brightest skies.

I never figured out why society had settled on a hunter for Orion. When I tilt my head just right, I see a butterfly, kite, or even a delightful bowtie. I had heard stories of a head, arms, and a cocked shoulder pulling back a bowstring, but I had never seen them.

That is, until our crossing from South Caicos to Puerto Plata. I had an evening watch on a calm night. The winds were trying to decide whether to be light or variable (but not both), and the ocean was almost as calm as the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool. Looking up, I basked in the dark night sky, but all of a sudden I noticed something.

I saw a clear semi-circle making up a stressed bow. I saw a bow string. I saw an arm holding an arrow, muscles quivering, ready to release. And I almost even saw the squinted focus in the hunter's eye.

With just a few more pieces of the puzzel, Orion began to look like so much more. I had never seen it quite like that before. Now, even hidden my the nearby city lights, I still see the hunter in all is glory.

And that's why Orion is still my favorite constellation.